BEREA -- Browns fans are hoping no news is good news regarding No. 1 draft pick Myles Garrett.
The team didn’t have an official update Thursday, but a spokesman said Garrett was still being evaluated after leaving practice Wednesday with a foot injury.
Garrett, a 6-foot-4, 272-pound defensive end from Texas A&M, didn’t practice Thursday during the final day of minicamp, but it’s considered a good sign he was able to walk off the field Wednesday, even though he was limping.
So the team is hopeful he avoided the dreaded Lisfranc injury that would require surgery and cost him his rookie season.
Garrett went to the ground without contact while making a sack Wednesday and reached for his left foot.
He was helped up, limped to the sideline and was checked by head athletic trainer Joe Sheehan. Garrett remained on the field but didn’t return to practice. When the storm siren went off and the team moved into the field house, he limped visibly and was the last player to reach the building.
Garrett, who signed a four-year, $30.4 million guaranteed deal, missed part of his final year at Texas A&M with a high left ankle sprain. He was limited during organized team activities with what Cleveland.com reported as a sore foot.
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams didn’t provide a medical update but likes what he’s seen when Garrett’s been able to take the field.
“He’s done a great job,” he said. “It’s still way early, but you guys are going to see a pretty good football player when he gets a chance to get out there and go. I’ve got a big smile on my face, I’m just waiting to let him show everybody before I talk about him.”
- Browns rookie Myles Garrett shares encouraging workout video
- Browns Notes: WR coach Al Saunders disappointed for Corey Coleman he can't stay healthy, says he needs to get hamstring stronger
- Browns No. 1 pick Myles Garrett injures foot, stops practicing
- DE Garrett knows he has to prove himself
- Browns Notes: Myles Garrett doesn't practice with "a little nick," says he'll be back "full-tilt" next week
- Browns No. 1 pick Myles Garrett signs rookie deal, seals it with a "Kiss From a Rose"
- Sashi Brown "not scared" of Myles Garrett's bravado and comments, comfortable with the No. 1 pick's confidence
- Browns top pick Myles Garrett working to improve 1st step after Hall of Famer Bruce Smith said he was too slow off the ball
- Analysis: Browns did a lot right in draft, especially taking a shot with QB DeShone Kizer in 2nd round
- NFL Draft: Browns excited about 10-player haul, more comfortable with roster, eager to see how it translates to field
- National analysts agree Browns had a successful draft, are split on pick of QB DeShone Kizer
- Browns select Garrett
- Another NFL Draft, another huge opportunity for Browns to get significantly better
- Scott Petrak's mock draft 2.0: Browns make a trade?
- NFL Draft: Myles Garrett out to be greatest of all time; Texas A&M coach says it's no-brainer for Browns to take him No. 1